a wealth of knowledge, for the wealth of our community
Sunday's Child acts as a clearinghouse for resources found on the web. Content shared on this site is the intellectual property of its respective owners and publishers. We want to ensure you have access to the best information there is, and the following links, articles and downloadable content is a collection of best practices for LGBT workforce inclusion, policy development, and toolkits. We hope you find the information as helpful and informative as we have.
We provide links to the original source where possible.
Organizations We Admire:
These are resources that provide an overall snapshot of discrimination issues facing LGBT employees.
- LGBT Workplace Issues: An Overview by Catalyst
- 20 LGBT Organizations You Need to Know by Diversity Best Practices
- LGBT Terminology & Cultural Information by Out & Equal (Source)
- Glossary of Terms by Human Rights Campaign
- Employment Fact Sheet by The LGBT Task Force (Source)
- Cities and Counties with Non-Discrimination Ordinances that Include Gender by HRC
- How Can You Create an LGBT-Friendly Workplace? by Diversity Inc
- A Broken Bargain Report by Movement Advancement Project (Source)
- The Cost of the Closet & Rewards of Inclusion by Human Rights Campaign (Source)
- Straight Guide to LGBT Americans by Human Rights Campaign
- A State-by-State Examination of Nondiscrimination Laws and Policies by Center for American Progress Action Fund
Toolkits & Guides
Resources for incorporating non-discrimination policies into your business or organization.
Gay & Lesbian Fund Toolkits:
- Inclusive Workplace Toolkit: Creating Organizations that Value Diversity & Inclusion (Source)
- Gender Expression Toolkit: Ending Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Expression (Source)
Lambda Legal Toolkit:
Legal Services of Northwest Florida:
LGBT Business of Change Toolkit
- Creating an LGBT-Friendly Workplace (Source: Ball State University)
- How to be LGBT- Friendly: 30 Practical Ways to Create a Welcoming Environment for LGBT (Source: University of Warwick)
best practices & exemplar organizations
These are organizations that are doing it right and can serve as an example for how to create an out and equal workplace.
American Medical Association
Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD): A Best Practices Resource for New England states, who have been a leader in LGBT Civil Rights Movement.
Human Rights Campaign
- Corporate Equality Index: The national benchmarking tool on corporate policies and practices pertinent to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.
- Workplace Resources
- How Can I Find an Employer's Non-Discrimination Policy?
- Workplace Discrimination Laws and Policies
- Degrees of Equality: A National Study Examining Workplace Climate for LGBT Employees (Source)
- Cities and Counties with Non-Discrimination Ordinances that Include Gender
webinars & training
These resources provide access to online educational webinars, training and courses. Enrollment may be required.
Webinars & Online Training/Courses
- Webinar: The Role of Straight Allies in Creating LGBT-Friendly Workplaces by Human Resource Professionals Association
- Online Training: Out & Equal University
- Online Courses: LGBT Task Force Online Training (registration required)
Suicide & Violence Prevention
These resources provide access to online resources regarding LGBTQ suicide and violence